Griff's Guide

Steering Your Way Through the Good, the Bad and the Ugly of Today's Silver Screen

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Going The Distance

This movie is a laugh out loud true to form comedy that makes this horrible thing known as long distance relationships into something relatable and light hearted. Definitely no oscar contender but in terms of feel good comedy, this is it.

The Good: I can't really think of many movies where I was literally laughing out loud but this movie did it to me. At one particular scene, I had my hand over my mouth because I was laughing so hard. The casting was great, ranging from Garrett's friends Box and Dan to Erin's sister Corinne. It was a fresh take on comedy, nothing overplayed or stupid.  What I loved most about the movie was the amazing chemistry between Drew Barrymore and Justin Long. I'll admit it that when actors are dating in real life and are then leading roles in a love story together, it makes the story so believable. Their performance was so convincing and you fell in love with them as a couple because you knew it was real.

The Bad: Drew's acting was not exactly her best. Her character was supposed to be this outspoken laid back cool chick but at times she was just awkward trying to be this character. In no way am I saying she bombed, however, she just couldn't pull off that character the entire movie. This is for all the people out there that have been in long distance relationships. My friend and I have both been in serious long distance relationships that are now over and certain parts were very hard to watch.  Any time an airport goodbye came on, the water works were uncontrollable. My friend and I were laughing because the two of us were so embarrassing. So just as a caution to anyone who has been in a long distance relationship, it is tough to relive those times again.

Overall, this movie was a feel good comedy with a great message. In terms of romantic comedy I give this movie an A-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers